Information For The Investor
If you an angel investor or venture capitalist looking to invest in business development, entrepreneurs, and startups in Mauritius, you can find more information, guidance and opportunities here…
Do you need a reason to invest in this emerging market? Here are some factors that may motivate you to support Mauritian entrepreneurs:
- You will potentially generate higher returns for your investment portfolio for retirement
- Investing in start-ups provides portfolio diversification
- You will look shrewd when the start-up becomes successful and a hot trending topic
- You can satisfy your desire to be involved in positive change and bringing about new solutions to problems
- There are already so many intelligent, successful, wealthy individuals investing in and mentoring entrepreneurs, that should speak for itself
- There are investors that while acknowledging there is a risk involved in funding a start-up, claim that it is less risky than playing the stock market
- Some entrepreneurs may not have the option of turning to a bank for a loan for various reasons such as they lacking collateral, so by investing in them you are supporting those who may not be able to start their business by any other means
- Mauritius is still an emerging market, so take the opportunity to get in on the ground floor of what is already the most successful economy in Africa
How can you ensure you invest smartly?
There are two golden rules to start-up investing, and that is to expect risk and to not invest more than you can afford to lose in any single investment.
Follow these rules to invest efficiently, profitably and smartly:
- Invest in pre-vetted start-ups – we will vet all businesses listed on this site so that you know they are genuine
- Consider taking a portfolio approach and diversify by investing in a number of ventures, which will reduce the risk and increase your chances of success
- Reserve a portion of capital for follow-on funding rounds
- Invest in areas that you know so that you understand the market it operates in
- Research the track record of the founders and key personnel, including their background, experience and previous success, since they are most critical to the company’s success.
- Check what the founders are being paid, or that the founders have invested a responsible sum of own funds, so you know they will be motivated and focused on the task in hand
- Research how the company plans to use the money raised and whether the amount is enough to reach profitability
- Examine how the business plans to make money, if the business model is sustainable and scalable and if sales and profit projections are reasonable
- Access the legal documents before you invest, including bylaws, articles of incorporation, investment agreements and so on to ensure you are familiar with the business structure
- Ensure you know what form your investment will take, either as cash for equity or as a loan to be paid back or as a convertible note exchanged for equity at a later date. If your investment is a loan, make sure you know when you will get your money back, how and when you will make a profit, and what rights come with your investment
- Invest in start-ups you may be able to add value to with coaching or mentoring
- Always follow your instincts and only invest in businesses you think it makes sense to invest in
How can you find a business to invest in?
You may already know someone looking to start a business and could choose to invest in them, but if you do not have that option, you can check the businesses listed here that are screened to ensure they are genuine and are prepared for and ready to begin fundraising, which will save you time searching for opportunities.
Alternatively you may know an entrepreneur looking for a business idea, who you believe in and are ready to invest in them. In this case why not consider supporting them to run an online business through a franchise. MYP promote franchise opportunities and below you will find a number of online franchises that are ready for launch and seeking investment.
We plan to hold ‘pitch’ events where you will have the opportunity to meet and network with other investors and a number of entrepreneurs in one space, and where the entrepreneurs can make their pitch for finance or mentoring directly. We will facilitate your connection to entrepreneurs, ensuring you have all the information you need to make the best investment decisions.
Sign up for a listing as an investor and/or mentor and we will connect you to entrepreneurs and SMEs in Mauritius and Rodrigues that need your support to get their businesses off the ground.
Take a look at some of the projects seeking investment below and contact us to find out more.Contact Us